Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I'm working on - SuperKate

I'm working on these little drawings of SuperKate and her magic cape for a competition.  SuperKate can't fly too well at first, but she gets the hang of it and in the second picture is in a tree with her friend Will (who also flies) and has eaten a lot of mulberries, hence the ink spatter.
I discovered a wonderful paper for pen and ink - actually a laser printer/copier paper, Xerox Colotech which at 5c/sheet for 120 gsm is really wonderful to draw on.  It's very white and slightly shiny, absolutely frictionless and doesn't bleed even if you pause a moment with the pen on the page.

3 comments:

Leen Christens said...

Oh, the sketch in the tree looks wonderful, lovely moment and great view!! Great tip about the paper, what are the next steps from here? Are you going to paint as well on this paper or are you going to use a different technique?? I'm curious about that result! :)

Gay McKinnon said...

It takes paint surprisingly well, but it does buckle a little and the washes are a bit speckly. I'm going to leave these ones as pure line because I think it suits the text (for 7 to 9 year olds) to do black and white illustrations with a lot left to the imagination. I know it's a bit unconventional not to use any wash but I am gonna try and push this style!

Linda Kay said...

wonderful drawings, especially love the tree scene. very nicely done & thanks for sharing the paper tip