Monday, July 28, 2008

Thumbelina



Hi, everyone! Like many of you, this is my first posting. I mentioned on my blog not being as happy with this as I hoped (it's too brown), but I like the characters in it. I suppose part of my disappointment was that I finally bought a few professional grade watercolors and this was my first time to use some of them. I was also experimenting with some iridescent stuff on the bird and on Thumbelina's dress, but it doesn't show when you scan it in (I didn't think it would). I look forward to doing more with you all. Thanks to those of you who have commented on it on my blog. If anyone has suggestions on how I can improve this piece, I'd be happy to hear from you.

6 comments:

krisztina maros said...

well it's so easy to me - a very very like browns! :) i often use this colour and i think it can be so expressive in itself as well. so i really like your illo, particularly the mole and rat in the background. we haven't seen this before scan - so it's beautiful at first sight on the blog!

Anonymous said...

Very nice work.

I find that mixing browns instead of using tube browns adds a lot more personality to the color. It also ties the foreground and background together better when the same colors are used throughout.

I bought a new color of blue on Saturday. Can't wait to try it out! :)

Mônica said...

I also like it a lot! I understand how you feel, but I think it's because we can be so hard sometimes on what we do, so very, very critical. It's a lovely composition, Thumbelina's expression is so perfect and so are the washes. It's a great illo!

linda sarah said...

this is really lovely - and I like the colors a lot! you've captured this scene from thumbelina really beautifully:-)

mitchowl said...

A beautiful illustration. I love her expression, and I the colored tips on the bird's wings. Nice job!

Laura said...

Beautiful - I love her expression and how tenderly she attends to the bird. Nice work!!