Sunday, March 1, 2009

Legend of the Selkies February post

Here is my watercolor "Legends of the Selkies" for the February monthly post. I really like the light that I have going on, on the rocks around her.
This is the best I could come up with, with only reading a little bit about this legend from the link provided. I hadn't heard of the story before. I'm glad to have had the oppurtunity to learn about them and to try my hand hand painting an illustration. It was a very good lesson!
I'm sorry, I wasn't able to do anything for the 'crowd' week. Life got in the way and I had worked up 4 or 5 other new paintings.
Thanks for looking,
Debbie

4 comments:

Linda Kay said...

very, very nice--great light & really like the seal looking on.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Really very beautiful. It's just excellent!!! Great work.

angelic pursuits said...

I agree that you did great on the lighting. The colors are also great, too. Dramatic lighting is something I struggle with and I need to study your work some more to learn. Do you have any suggestions?

Unknown said...

Hi Linda, Vanessa and Angelic,
Thanks for the great feedback.

I have been painting in watercolor for about 40 years. That's a lot of paintings and practice!
Just recent years I am getting that 'aha' moment about light.
I've been studying some great books I have purchased through Northlight Books and my book store.
and lots of experimenting with my paints.
I find to show light, you must paint shadow. Shadows also define shape. Toning down a color will make it recede to the background. Also certain colors will make other colors pop.
& then there is composition. It all works together to create a dynamic painting, like having all the instruments working correctly in a band. One needs the other to sound great.

Thanks gals,
Debbie