Sunday, May 3, 2009

Frolicking Faeries and Frustration

I started this dang picture three weeks ago, and finally finished it up yesterday. The faeries are three different shades to add a little variety, but of course the scanner lightened them all up. I guess that means I'm going to have to darken the original so the colors show more clearly.I'm working to keep a very simple palette when I'm painting, and I think it's helping me tremendously. It gives me the freedom to play around with the colors I have picked with less fear, and it also keeps my line-work nice and clear. I've enjoyed looking at everyone's work over the last month. I'll be going back and commenting as soon as I'm finished with the overdue Bunnies and Aesop's pieces I have. :)

6 comments:

Linda Kay said...

:) we've all been there with the frustration! hang in there & keep going. Usually, what I do is put that work aside & start on something entirely different. You did a nice job--cute fairies & nice, bold color around them!

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Yup, Linda hit the new on the head with those words of wisdom. I think it's wonderful! They look like they are having fun and you have a wonderful style that comes through. Don't be afraid to try something. It's only paper he he he he ! I know, " It's just that when you put the brush to paper it's like your committed. I know, I know he he he! Keep doing it and have fun!

Michelle Henninger said...

Yes, I hear you loud and clear. Keep at it though. (That's what I keep telling myself, too! :) ). You've created some adorable little fairies! I love the one looking at the worm. What a great expression she has!

angelic pursuits said...

They look like they're having a lot of fun! I love the one sliding down the leaf. And they have very fairy-looking faces.

sruble said...

Sorry about the frustration, but the final image is great. I like your playful fairies. They look like they're having fun. The limited palette and the composition really makes this work well.

Cheryl said...

These wee folk are so funny and cute. Great job.