Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mommies and Babies

This is a watercolor pencil sketch, after the water was added. There were several other stages after this, including color with more watercolor pencil and regular colored pencils, plus ink. I also started a digital under painting of this stage.After all that, I still like the simple image best, so here it is:



If I continue with the other versions and they turn out, I might post them at a later date, but I kind of like this best. Gives me a few ideas for a new process to try out too, and I like trying new stuff. :)

I figured it worked well for both the Mommies and Babies theme for Watercolor Wednesdays and the Hierarchy theme for Illustration Friday.

5 comments:

Linda Kay said...

I like the perspective & the eagerness in the "line" waiting to hold the baby.

angelic pursuits said...

It has a nice feel to it, which is definitely enhanced by the warm reddish brown you've used. That baby looks so loved!

Cheryl said...

you would think that a scene of a mommy holding the baby would be calm...but action and business abounds.

Diandra Mae said...

I like the overall warmth. Hope to see the other versions. I know how intimidating it can be sometimes taking a sketch you love to the next level. I always worry about things getting lost.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

This works for both! What a wonderful feel your piece has. You caught a fabulous and moment. I sure do remember moments like these. I agree with Angelic, the brown is warm and very comforting. Great illo.