Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Class Halloween Party (a sponge painting) - sruble

I painted this one with cut up sponges (except the vampire). I painted the vampire with brushes to set him apart from the rest of the class. I thought the texture would be fun, and it is, except that the painting was too small (8.5 x 11) or the sponges were too big to make it look the way I wanted it to. Still, it's something I might play around with again in the future, or use brushes to try to re-create the texture. 

Eddie was out sick the day Ms. MacDonald's class decided to dress up as farm animals for the class party. Everyone forgot to tell Eddie when he came back.

Ms. MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O

Ms. MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O

 The chicken costume is my favorite. :)

7 comments:

Lady Good Nectar said...

Oh man this is so cute and wonderfully illustrated. Love, love, love the looseness in the illustration. Great fun with the sponges. Lovely work!!!!

Mônica said...

Sponges give such a nice effect, don't they?

I love all the costumes, they look adorable. I guess if I had to choose, I'd pick that cute cow. :-)

Linda Kay said...

So cute! The chicken's my favorite too! Really like the sponge technique.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is the sheep costume. I love working with textures. Sponges are tricky, there are so many different ways to use them. I end up ripping mine into little bits to get the shapes I want for small areas.

Another fun texture technique is plastic wrap. LOL

Your work is always so much fun.

sruble said...

Thank you so much everyone! I may have to try sponges again. They really are a lot of fun.

Lyon, how do you use the plastic wrap? I am intrigued. You know I always like to experiment!

illustration poetry said...

my fave is absolutely that little dracula!!!!

sruble said...

Thanks Ratu! I have a soft spot for the little vampire too :)