Saturday, September 13, 2008

Dancing with Daddy

My dad was wonderful! Even though he only had brothers growing up, he still took the time to do girly things with me (because he knew I liked them) like playing with dolls and DANCING! I loved twirling around in dresses with him and having him catch me from on top of the couch.

I wanted to draw a different ethnicity here and tried to make them look hispanic, but I'm not sure how well I pulled it off (based on my husband's opinion). I LOVE black hair, but I don't like painting it nearly as much as I love reds and browns (and even blonds) since I can't put in the variations of colors that I like. Do you have any suggestions about painting black hair?

10 comments:

ELLA ELVIANA said...

your father is so sweet and fun! and, i too dont do black hair often but when i did i dont use just one color (black), i prefer to use many layers of different (dark) colors so it would have more interesting values. :)

Linda Kay said...

Angel--great image! Fun. I always mix my black color--I mix dark greens, reds, & sometimes blues into the mix to create a rich black that reflects lights. You've done a great job & they do look Hispanic.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

This is so rich and sweet! The color is just fantastic. It's wonderful the idea of daddy and daughter dancing. Wonderful! I love anything that is multicultural as well and I think you pulled this off with charm and grace! Very nicely done.

Lisa M Griffin said...

I certainly think that you pulled this illo off extremely well, the colors are wonderful, the postures are dynamic and the expressions are thoughtful. I like the way you have highlighted the hair... something I usually struggle with. My suggestion would be to add other colors to the black in the hair to make it pop a little bit more... even if it were a touch of blue or purple, it would tie in more of the colors that you have used in this illustration.
Fun illustration. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle Henninger said...

Really great piece. You've done a super job with ethnicity, and the movement is wonderful!

Issi said...

Great illo :o)

krisztina maros said...

it's amazing illo! you had a fantastic daddy!

Mônica said...

I agree, I think you got the ethnicity just right and created a lovely, touching illustration of a little girl and her dad.
I usually don't do black hair... I guess I tend to gravitate towards browns, but whenever I do use black I do it also by mixing dark colors. blues and browns, mostly...

Bella Sabbagh said...

Lovely illo! I am always impressed by people who can draw people so well. Great colours, too.

Anonymous said...

This is so lovely and full of fun and feels like a picture from a very lovely story! Beautiful colors and wonderful characters - I love this!