Thursday, April 9, 2009

Fun in the rain

Not only do these ladybugs know how to make lemonade from lemons, but they have figured out how to make a water park out of a rainy day. 

I got the idea from Microcosmos, an amazing film about bugs (my son and I love bugs). This illo was fun to conceive, draw, and paint . . . only, do you realize how tedious it can be to make sure EVERY drop of water has proper shading and light? And my husband pushed me to do better with the splashes (they weren't quite 3D until he pointed it out), and the splashes make it more fun, thanks to him. I hope you like it.

7 comments:

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

The pushing WORKED!!! WOW talk about out of the box!!!! This is awesome, awesome, awesome work you've done. Sometime husbands can be a real pain in the patootie when it comes to artwork. I know that mine can be and I hate when he stands over my shoulder and tries to be the art teacher he he he! This is simply fresh and wonderful and full of whimsy and fun. Everything is right about this piece. The composition, color, and subject they all work together so beautifully!!! You brought your A game with this. This is what editors love, love, love to see when looking at portfolios. This illustration should be right up front for sure!!!
Great job!

Cheryl said...

Vanessa said it all. The painstaking work paid off BIG. And it's entertaining, too.

Anonymous said...

Very FUN!!! You're lucky your husband is so helpful. Mine just says everything is fine. No matter how bad (or good) it might be.

I want to see a whole story with your ladybugs.

Heather said...

This is wonderful. So dynamic and colorful. And, yes awesome is just the best way to describe it.

Linda Kay said...

I agree with Vanessa--this is a wonderful piece--lots of activity & interaction. The drops & splashes are great. Nice composition too!

Mônica said...

Fantastic! It really is a superior piece, just perfect! You got the setting, perspective, colors, characters, effects, everything just right. And it's a fun illustration too, full of joy! Congratulations!

krisztina maros said...

I just LOVE this flowing wet effect - really beautiful!