Wednesday, April 15, 2009

O is for Owl

Thanks for accepting me as a member of Watercolor Wednesdays! And thanks to Wendy (Lyon) Martin for asking the group if I could join. I cross posted on my blogger and livejournal blogs.

I've been doing a daily drawing or painting in April and posting them on my blog. Today's drawing was an owl and I realized that an owl would be great for the letter O. So I quickly painted this picture:

I used watercolor crayons, watercolor paints, watercolor markers, acrylic paint (for the O around the moon and OWL), and a hair dryer so it would be dry enough to scan yet tonight. I still haven't figured out how to make the markers do what I want them to do. Has anyone else had success with watercolor markers?

11 comments:

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

How beautiful. I really like the line work and the owl is very nicely done. I love to see how other illustrators use different media to bring a picture to life. This is just wonderful and I just adore that moon. Great job you've done on this! Oh, and O is also for OOOOH very beautiful work!!!

Linda Kay said...

Wonderful image! Love the movement of the line in the background. Welcome to WW!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Stephanie. :)
Here's a new batch of artists to interview. (If they'll let you...) Love the owl.

sruble said...

Thanks so much Vanessa, Linda and Lyon!

Good idea Lyon - I'll remember that next time I'm looking for people to interview.

Jasmijn Paauwe - van Est said...

ah this owl is so cute

Cheryl said...

Welcome Stephanie! I'm new myself (I've posted twice,now.) Good luck w/the markers...I'm liking the texture, I think. Nice work.

krisztina maros said...

so lovely owl! and it seems to me that he's wearing an "o" type on his belly :)

Roberta said...

Hoot Hoot! That's a cute owl!
Welcome!

Mônica said...

I've never used watercolor markers, but it seems to me you're getting some wonderful effects. This has a very nice texture, especially the sky. Lovely colors too!

Lisa M Griffin said...

Great movement in the sky and it is echoed by the wings of your Owl. Lovely composition - bravo and welcome. =)

sruble said...

Thanks Jasmijn!

Thanks Cheryl - nice to meet another newbie :)

Thanks Krisztina! I didn't even think about the o shape on his belly - thanks for pointing it out!

Thanks Roberta!

Thanks Monica! The watercolor markers are hard to figure out, but they are good for things like the texture in the sky, the moon, and on the owl's belly.

Thanks Lisa!