Sunday, November 15, 2009

Monkeying Around

I worked this WaWe challenge backwards. Here's a watercolor and pastel illustration that I finished today for the children's book I'm working on. These monkeys weren't that fun for me in the sketch concept phase - this book has lots of fun animals and they seemed kind of weak compared to the others. I started falling in love with them last Tuesday when I moved onto final line art.
Monkeying Around
Now they're my favorite. I started thinking of these funny little monkeys as characters so I could fit them into last week's challenge. I did a little bit of sketchy character development so I'm not cheating the system. ;) I can't wait until I have the time to devote to these "Munkies."
I've pulled them into today's PbIdMo scenario too.

Here's Moanalua Munkie:
moanalua munkie_reading.Sketchy
and her brother, Jon:

jonmunkie_beach_sketchy

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Those monkeys definitely ooze personality. They are so fabulous in color. I can see why you went backwards with them. Love this Wednesday thing. I'll be checking back for sure.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

These little darlings are such fun!!! Love all the action and the expressions are to die for! Beautiful sketches and then the color is absolutely marvelous. Job well done!

illustration poetry said...

haha, Amber, you did it for WaWe ;D
me too, i like the sketches!

angelic pursuits said...

I especially like your jungle. That's great!

Amber Alvarez said...

Thanks for all the comments. I can't wait until I get to turn this into a real story!

Linda Kay said...

very cute monkeys! they're funny & fun with lots of movement & expression

Anonymous said...

I love the green against the red brown monkey fur. What fun!