Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wild Thing

Wanted to join in the fun with Watercolor Wednesdays. Finished this late Sunday night early Monday morning. Once I started painting I wanted to see how it would turn out like a story I wanted to find out how it ends.

I had thought of doing him, a child as a wild thing because I have been working on developing my child characters. I have always liked the children that get themselves in creative trouble. I sort of relate with conflicts of creative differences. What creative child didn't grow up making an art project of tampons and sanitary napkins. I know I am not the only one that had that sort of show and tell.

Love to read your comments.

Wild Thing

He sat perched in the fork of a tree in the back yard.

Painted in war paint of lipstick on his arms and cheeks;
waiting.

He tied his mother's leopard patterned scarf around his waist and over his underwear.

Maybe not one of his best decisions he made today.

Mom loved that scarf, one of her favourites, and there would be a price to pay.

For now he was a wild thing, a thing of wild the wild and in his mind endangered.


Dayle Dodwell



7 comments:

roz said...

IMPRESSIVE

Michelle Henninger said...

Oh my, you have really captured the wild child in this. It is a gorgeous illustration. I love the rich color. I sure hope he doesn't get into too much trouble! [Once my younger brother dumped my mom's expense perfume in the toilet to make it smell nice. She was not pleased.] :)

k.h.whitaker said...

wow, I love this, it's beautiful

Mónica said...

Wonderful jungle and child!!

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

OH DALE HOW ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! Your wild thing child is amazing and so filled with wonderment! I just love him! The color really pops and the page composition is really beautiful! Straight out of a picture book! Great work!!!!

angelic pursuits said...

That is beautiful!

sruble said...

Wow! I love your wild thing character. He really jumps off the screen! It looks like he's off on a great adventure and will come home with lots of stories to tell. Love the color, body language and war paint. Great!