Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Puppy and A Wild (Chicken) Thing

When I sat down to paint a child or animal character, this is who showed up.
Happy Puppy!

Happy Puppy!

Does he look familiar? I think he looks a lot like the puppy I did for theFrankenstein prompt and the Halloween character prompt and maybe a little like this puppy too. They are all supposed to be the same kind of dog, so maybe they’re different puppies from the same litter.

For the Wild Thing prompt, I was originally going to do an image of the characters from the book/movie, but then I decided to do something slightly different in the style of Maurice Sendak. It took a lot longer than I thought it would to complete this painting, and honestly I could have spent another week or so on it to make it look the way I wanted it to look. Since I have other projects that I need to get done, I cut a few corners to finish the painting. There are parts I really like and parts I wish I could have spent the time to do right. I think I’ll be using some of the techniques and the palette in future paintings to see what happens. So, here’s my wild (chicken) thing painting.

Wild Chicken Thing and Max

Wild Chicken Thing and Max

6 comments:

illustration poetry said...

steph, i read your blog!
(and left a comment, ssssshhh...)

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

BRILLIANT!!!! BRILLIANT I tell you! Brilliant! I am so impressed and this is just awesome work and a wonderful full stretch of the imagination. You really came out of the box on this piece. Excellent!!!

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

Puppy is simply delicious and sooooo cute I might add he he he! It's such a great character for a wonderful book!

sruble said...

Ratu I won't tell ;)

Vanessa, Thanks you, thank you!!

Linda Kay said...

love that puppy! would love to see more of him...could be a great board book or picture book. Wild Thing chicken is so funny!

sruble said...

Thanks Linda! I've been working on another picture with the puppy, but it's more detailed and is taking longer than anticipated. ;)